Thursday, April 26, 2012

All you can eat lesson


The nurse practitioner part of me comes out in this post.  Educating others about health ranks high on my priority list and information about mental health has a special place in my heart. The National Institute of Mental Health’s web site offers statistics about generalized anxiety disorder. This disorder, known as GAD, affects more than 5 percent of the adult population in a lifetime. The average age of onset of symptoms is over 30. As with most mental health issues, GAD is likely under reported and many suffer in silence because of the stigma associated with mental illness or lack of information regarding the illness and its treatment.
I have worked in the mental health setting a long time. I have been around a little longer than Prozac. I have seen, diagnosed and treated many individuals with GAD. I have seen how GAD can destroy lives and upset families. Treatment often includes medications and/or counseling. What I have observed is that aside from formal treatment, suffers need support, empathy and quite a bit of behavior modification.
MEDICATIONS
I am not going into details about the medications that are used to treat GAD. All I am going to say is that medications come with side effects and risks. Medication choices vary from provider to provider. The truth is that some providers do treat GAD with medications that have a high addictive potential. Yes, I know that ALL the literature says that addictive medications SHOULD not be used, but in the real world, they are being used and abused. All I know is that person cannot have side effects from a medication they have never taken and there is no such thing as a safe medication.
THERAPY
Therapy proves to be effective and some studies may indicate even more effective than medications. However, therapy may or may not be covered under insurance plans and without coverage, many folks just cannot afford therapy. Also, it takes two to tango and a receiver of therapy has to interested and engaged in getting better. Do not dismiss the number of people who do not want to either improve or appear to improve because of secondary gain. It happens.
MY WAY OF EDUCATING
I am a simple guy, in more ways than one. I relate that before I begin to educate and I explain that I use analogies often. I have two favorites to use in teaching about GAD, and, yes, I know they both involve food. You use what you know best, I suppose.
ALL YOU CAN EAT
Let me tell you, when the Hipes Clan shows up at an “All You Can Eat” place, the owners run to try and lock the doors. So, they give you this tiny plate (a trough would be too small) and you pile it up with all the items on the buffet. You start the high wire act- carefully balancing and trying to get to the table without spillage. Undoubtedly, something falls off and hits the floor..forgetaboutit..

In GAD, you have hit the Worry Buffet way too hard. You push stuff on the plate of life at every opportunity and then something you need falls off your plate and out of your mind. Worry causes difficulty in remembering things. You worry so much you feel you are losing your mind, in addition to your car keys, shoes and wallet.
THE WHOLE PIZZA
My second analogy involves the pizza of your choice made by your favorite pizza pie artist. And, it is all yours. You are salivating and may be mistaken for being rabid. Then, you open wide and try to “one bite” the whole pie. What? You cannot do it? Why? Because it is too much to ingest and digest at once and if you try you make choke? Wow, that does not stop a person with GAD from trying to “swallow” all their worries and the others they usually take on just so they can reinforce their worries. Plus, with all those constant worries comes the sense that a person with GAD must do MORE so that no one will know they are worried about everything. Cut the dang pie into bite sized pieces. Go after the small worries first because they are weak and will die quickly.

I know me and I know that I will someday approach GAD in this blog. I do try and contain my inner NP, but sometimes it just explodes out of me. I know I will address what the Bible says about anxiety soon. Faith can play a huge role in overcoming anxiety and stress.

2 comments:

  1. How do you eat an elephant?

    One bite at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you once again for a wonderfully insightful and uplifting post. You have quite effectively described my life and increased my ability to laugh about it. Which I believe is a good thing. I enjoy this blog very much as I can relate to much of the content and it helps me try to "help me". I am so glad that I stumbled upon it one morning.

    Like those you have mentioned within this post, I cannot afford therapy. I do take Buspar, which as far as I know is not particularly addictive and while it is not magic bullet, it mainly helps keep me from having a complete and total meltdown most days. I have not taken it for an extremely long time, just during the past 15 months while I have experienced some increase negative life stressors. (Just thought I might throw that out there for anyone who thought all that could be given for GAD were more powerful, high risk meds.)

    But more than help with obtaining some kind of increased sense of normalcy within my particular circumstantial abnormalities...this blog has helped point me back on a path I had wondered away from. This blog has helped me to find a quiet place to think and examine myself and my experiences and to help open my ears back to that still small voice that had never stopped calling my name...there are not words that can express the gratitude I have to the author of this blog for that, outside of: May God Richly Bless You, John the NP..:)

    For me, this blog is a breath of much needed fresh air and illuminating sunshine.

    Again, thank you.

    Now...Blog on...:0)

    ReplyDelete