Thursday, April 19, 2012

Try


I really dislike the word “try”. I mean, if this were not a Christian blog, I might write that I HATE the word “try”. We all use it and we all endorse the word like it is a good thing. As parents, we encourage our kids to “try their best” in school, sports and in life. So, our child goes on a soccer field and does not play hard and looks more like she is wandering disinterested in a very well kept cow pasture. Sure, as she stands there, you see a herd of kids run past her from time to time. Then, as a parent, you ask her after the game how she played and she replies, “But I tried.”
I understand why she does this and it is because I have modeled the behavior. I have “tried” being a good daddy, husband and employee. I have “tried” to make it to games, events and outings. Sure, I have succeeded and sometimes I have failed. Thinking about the word “try” I have come up with the meanings behind the word.
1.     Try means “I don’t know how”. I take some tools and decide to work on the washing machine. I have watched the YouTube videos so I am ready to go. Hours later, nothing has been accomplished, and someone in my house asks, “What are you doing?” and I say, “I am trying to fix the washer.” The reason the task is not completed is that I have no earthly clue what I am doing.
2.     Try means “I don’t want to”. I get invited to a Clowns Across America exhibit by a friend. Wow, clowns really creep me out but I prefer not hurting my friend’s feelings.  Instead, of saying no, I tell them I will try to make it but there are so many things I need to do in the evening after work. I tried but I failed to do something I never intended to do.
3.     Try implies that failure is an acceptable option. Fasting fits here nicely. I can say I “tried” to fast but I failed. I still get an “A” for effort, right? The effort could have been less than inspired (see above soccer example). The importance and significance of fasting (when God leads you to fast) should not be minimized by a lackluster performance.
4.     Try supplies a safety net. I despise roller coasters. They scare me to death and I find no thrill from nausea and a swimming head. My oldest daughter had me in line to ride the sadistic coaster named Millennium Force. I “tried” to convince myself,, but since it was not life or death, I opted to jump into the safety net of try. Now, I just say “no” to roller coasters.
5.     Try appeases potential conflicts. Sometimes in life we just have to do something new, uncomfortable or downright necessary. Many times, the reluctance to do exactly what we need to do comes from fear or anxiety. People “try” to give up smoking, beer and sweets. For their health, it is necessary if good health is expected to continue. But, how many “trials” occur before they quit the offending habit, if they ever do, but they can say they “tried”.
I remember Yoda saying that either one chose do or do not because try was not an option. Jesus did not say he would try the cross and I do not remember Him directing to try and love your neighbor. Being a Christian is hard work. I will fall short and some things I will do and some things I will not get done. Regardless of the outcome, I must accept responsibility for my effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment