Thursday, April 19, 2012

Setbacks


Setbacks
Yesterday, I was breezing along during the fast day. Actually was beginning to feel good as I passed the yucky stage I often feel near the end of the first day. Then, as I was seeing a patient, I started experiencing the vision fuzziness of one of my old nemesis the migraine. And it was a doozy. I was sure there was a huge ice pick being shoved through my right eye and noise was killing me. Can I tell you that being sensitive to noise while working in a prison makes for a long afternoon?
Concentration was poor. Pain was intense. Needless to say, when I arrived at home, I was useless to blog, market, or anything shy of finding someplace to escape. Since I was in dire need of something for pain, I busted my fast in order to take ibuprofen.
The whole migraine day proved to be a setback. Because of the pain and inability to think, I was not able to pursue my intentions with zealous fervor. Looking back, I could have approached the day a little differently. Although it sounds strange, I should have thanked God because we are supposed to praise him in good times and bad. Plus, the migraine did allow me time being alone and I do not think I offered up one prayer during that time. What a wasted opportunity! I was in serious pain and I did not lean toward God for comfort. Surely I would have felt better in some sense if I would have talked to my Dad.
Humans try to be tough and make through setbacks with grit and determination. Setbacks happen. It is how we deal with the setbacks and how our response is to that setback that determines the outcome. Think of David. He had a major setback with the “Bathsheba Incident”. Yes, he suffered pain and anguish from that and he went on to have a fruitful and blessed life and had another son named Solomon. He endured the setback by reaching out to God. After losing a child, he could just as easily became bitter and spent the rest of his life sinning and cursing God.
Trials and tribulations are part of our lives and when you are working on turning up the heat to escape being lukewarm, expect more tribulations, trials, setbacks, and hurdles. Every time you survive a setback by leaning on God, you become stronger, and that strength glorifies Him. I understand that going through troubling times may be overwhelming. But think of the growth you will have as that trial stretches your ability to handle trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment