Thursday, April 26, 2012

4 Ways to Stop Frustration


This is the description of a sight that none of you deserve to see as no crime could fit this punishment. That sight would be me running. It is slow, loud and painful, full of wheezes, snaps and crackles. I usually run at night because a horrific scene like this may cause a crowd like most disasters and I have found it is more difficult for the buzzards to track me effectively in the cover of darkness. In other words, my running is a mess.
And, running is a great metaphor for life. I know my faults and in no way, am I a confident, put together person. I am a guy who is fighting to live a good, Christian life that trips and falls over the cracks of the sidewalk of life. I am too obese. I procrastinate when I get around to it. I worry too much. I am an insomniac. I say too many careless goofy things, mostly for the laughter of my kids. I am afraid of the stupid telephone and I have a deep rooted hated of panty hose. But, I keep getting up when I trip and keep running the race of life. I guess that is why I can relate to what Paul wrote in Philippians 3:12-16:
I have not yet reached my goal, and I am not perfect. But Christ has taken hold of me. So I keep on running and struggling to take hold of the prize. 13 My friends, I don’t feel that I have already arrived. But I forget what is behind, and I struggle for I what is ahead. 14 I run toward the goal, so that I can win the prize of being called to heaven. This is the prize that God offers because of what Christ Jesus has done. 15 All of us who are mature should think in this same way. And if any of you think differently, God will make it clear to you. 16 But we must keep going in the direction that we are now headed
The title of the blog promises 4 ways to overcome frustrations so I intend on delivering. And I am going to start now so that I cannot be accused of procrastinating.
1.     YOU are not perfect. Ok, maybe on some days your hair may be perfect but I am looking big picture here. If you think that you are mostly perfect, well, in my line of work that is called a “delusion” and I suggest you make an appointment to discuss your options. YOU WILL MESS UP. Accept your mistakes and learn from them. I find it useful to attempt to avoid making the same ones repeatedly, and if I ever get a handle on that, I’ll share it with you.
2.     God does not make JUNK. Open the Bible (for some of you, it is the dusty book on the coffee table—Oh, yes I did). God tells us early that he created us in HIS OWN IMAGE. My God is not junk. If your God is junk, contact me as we need to speak. YOU HAVE UNLIMITED potential and many of you place the limitations on yourself. Sadly, limitations are easily applied and tough to get off.
3.     God is not done with you yet. Life is like a race. We do not know the finish line but we know we cannot go backwards. Sure, you might pull a muscle or get some nasty blisters, but the race continues. Ask God what he plans to do with you.
4.     Surround yourself with support and eliminate the “nay sayers”. Now, by “eliminate” I am not suggesting evil works that result in life sentences. If you lack some positive influence, just hit the “contact” button and then you will have access to one positive person (and those who know me and read me, throw me some love in the comment section. Y’all been lack in showing me public forum affection..just sayin)
So, there you have it. I have given 4 free frustration busters. Let us just say that they are fee to you but Someone paid dearly for them. If that is cryptic and forces you to think, I meant to do that. Again, that is why there is a place for comments and connects.
Until I blog Again
John

4 comments:

  1. Great article John! I think I just diagnosed myself with GAD...you certainly hit me right between the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea that we are perfect in our imperfections...I am exactly where I am supposed to be at this very moment.
    And dare I say, John, that I did have that one week when I was perfect...hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Jana, you had a "perfect" game going there for a long while. As usual, I was appreciative of your skills

    ReplyDelete