Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Happens on my watch

MATTHEW 18:18 CEV. “I promise you that God in heaven will allow whatever you
allow on earth, but he will not allow anything you don't allow”.

Wow. I know that I have read that scripture before but today it provoked quite a bit of thought and self appraisal. It is amusing how “self-appraisal” always makes me say “ouch”. My mind raced as I went through my “issues roladex” tagging all the things that I allow to happen or exist in my life. These things happen on MY watch. These items, some small and some large, infiltrate my life at every turn. I “allow” myself to work in a job that deeply frustrates me at many levels. I have been a professional nurse since the mid 1980s and the health care culture as well as the business culture has changed into something that devalues and employee and respect has been fossilized. But, I go to work every day and “allow” myself to be treated in ways I prefer not to be treated. I “allow” myself to overeat and compromise my personal health. I “allow“worry to enter my mind and steal my joy, sleep and peace of mind. And, sadly and possibly most profoundly, I allow fear to dictate and control my life as I sit submissively by and watch the gift of life pass. I allow myself to “live” in fear although doing this resembles dying more than living. I allow my mind to rationalize my fear-enriched thoughts to convince myself that the status quo is OK and acceptable.

This is a big mind, spirit and even a little bit of a heart issue. My mind holds on to my insecurities with a firm grip. Rarely are situations and tasks as bad as my mind makes them out to be. Spiritually, I really should KNOW better because God’s word and Jesus’ teachings are full of hope and success. Doubt and fear ruin my witness and slow down the growth. And, deep down in my heart I must begin to feel that I am worthy. But, I am figuring out that if I give out with sincerity what I want to receive, I will in fact receive what will make my heart heal. One of my favorite authors, Tim Ferriss wrote, “Pure hell forces action, but anything less can be endured with enough clever
rationalization.”
So, Ferriss and Matthew are on the same page yet centuries apart. If I allow bad, then I am in control of that and if I change the situation and work to allow good, then good will happen. Got to love God, don’t you?

1 comment:

  1. Yes, we certainly do need to love God, for He is good, all the time. This blog is certainly a word in due season for me. Thank you for sharing your experiment, thus far. I know that sometimes I forget and stop leaning like I should and then wonder why I fail. As a matter of fact after reading this, I first prayed, then cleared out the fridge and pantry, and then made a schedule to begin exercising again. Very inspirational post for me and I am sure for others as well.

    ReplyDelete