Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Full Bore

Today is the day the experiment starts. I explained to my wife and daughter that I would be doing periodic fasts so they could know that I was not going to eat for a couple of days. My wife informed me we had a dinner obligation Thursday night so I will honor that previous commitment. I probably will fast all day until the dinner so it will be mostly like a “normal” week.

What defines “normal” these days? I believe the definition varies a great deal. Is it normal for someone to get out of bed at 4:30 AM ON THEIR OWN, or is normal to have a tattoo? More would feel a tattoo is more normal than my early morning awakenings. But the thought of someone slowly dragging a needle connected to ink across any part of my body does not sound normal to me. As a Christian, normal can lead me down a bad road. Take movies for example. I guess it is normal for the language to be foul in most movies and that does not even mention the innuendos and scenarios that years ago would be deemed questionable.

I must say “normal” does not describe the sounds my body made as a result of a forced kettle bell work out this morning. It has been a little while since I worked out and experience has told me that starting slow today means I can walk tomorrow. The pops, creaks and unholy sounds that my body made as the kettle bell swung almost made me chuckle, if it didn’t hurt so badly. My “temple” seriously needs a makeover.

Heart-wise, I am continuing to focus on my heart and my mouth. Ever since Sunday’s sermon, I have realized exactly how sarcastic I can be. I have always been able to get a laugh or giggle from people, but I need to be more graceful and realize that the giggle I produce must not come at the expense of someone else. At least that leaves self-deprecating humor and there is more than enough material I can glean from myself. Gosh, the size of my head alone would be worthy of a couple joke books, a kid’s video and a PowerPoint presentation.

Soul and spirit work today focuses on prayers to help my tongue and some prayers for family members. Plus I will sneak time in between patients this morning to get my Bible study done. I am a huge fan of Bible Gateway.

Mind training would better be accomplished if I could somehow take out my brain, wash the junk out and put it back. I have made some affirmations and that is helping. I know that confidence will one day outweigh fear, but the nasty fear guy is a big ol’ bully these days. Plus, I know I need to focus more and expect potential setbacks, roadblocks and a good, old fashioned crisis. Don’t look now, but there is an entity and his minions that really want Zealous Intentions to be a complete and utter failure and for things to be even worse for me than they are now.

No comments:

Post a Comment