Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Truth, Grace and a Parental "Ah Ha" Moment

 We are trying to get 10 year old Madi to participate in the "have to" things around the house. Yes, she is being more accountable for the "C" word: chores. It has been pretty Medieval around here as she has had gnashing of teeth and screams that would make the London Tower proud. Knowing Madi, I am surprised Geraldo Rivera has not been here doing a story on the senseless exploitation of children. Yes, she would do that.

Last night, I did one of her chores (I know, enabler alert), but I surprised her and Denise with a little sweet treat that they like. Since I did the bulk of the dishes, I asked Madi to finish them up in appreciation for the fact I did her work and I made her a treat. I am beginning to feel the "Yes Daddy" I hear is not what I interpret it to be.

This past Sunday, our Pastor Steve taught about truth and grace and how Jesus had equal parts of both. Yes, we need the truth but yes we all need grace as well. Too much of one without the other leaves things unbalanced. Unbalanced things in our lives lead to issues most of the time.

This morning, I get up for my run. As I go past the sink, I see ALL THE DISHES she was supposed to take care of! I mean, you can see how upset I am as I ended a sentence in a preposition! Immediately I think that I should make a big deal out of it, lay down the truth about chores and her lack of initiative and motivation and then suddenly and quietly, I hear a voice saying, "What about you?"

God took that moment to convict my heart. God has been patiently trying to lead me down another path and I am like a dog at the end of a leash that hates to walk. I procrastinate, rationalize the reasons for my inactivity (some of which are pretty good..I need to play with my kids more, I already work a meaningful job, I help out a lot around the house..I could go on. Really I could) and just plain do not do what I honestly feel God wants me to do. Maybe, like Madi, I think if I don't do it my Dad will just take care of me and do it Himself.

I wake up most mornings before 3 AM and the first thing I realize is that I did not do what I know I need to do the previous day. Man does that frustrate me.

Romans 7:15 (Contemporary English Version (CEV)
15 In fact, I don’t understand why I act the way I do. I don’t do what I know is right. I do the things I hate. 

I know I want my Heavenly Father to be gracious and patient with me. I know I do not want chastised and yelled at for not doing what I know I am supposed to do. As a dad, I see the potential in all my kids and I wonder sometimes why they don't see it and why they seem to be happy with stagnation and under utilizing their potential. 

I know I want my kids to be accountable, self motivated, ambitious and fearless, and I see that if the head of the family was those things, they would naturally follow. 


I know I am not alone in feeling the way Paul felt in Romans. How do you struggle with truth, grace and please share an "ah ha" moment of your own.

1 comment:

  1. Good morning!

    This is an excellent topic once again. I have had many instances where the Lord has gently pointed out that I am sometimes less than obedient and I surely desire His mercy rather than His wrath for such transgressions, as well as the knowledge that others deserve the same. There are many experiences where I do that which I should not do and the thing that I dislike. I can surely identify with the Apostle Paul a great deal. Every day I pray for God to not allow the physical health consequences that could occur for the choices of behavior that I make. I pray I don’t have a heart attack or a stroke as I have chosen short term gratification from food most of my life rather than lean and depend on the love and guidance of the Lord to bring me through.

    Yet, years ago I used to pray heartily that uncomfortable consequences might be experienced by my ex-husband with regards to some choices of behavior that he still engages in that where detrimental to both his health and our family. I wasn’t being vengeful, I just wanted him to be “made” to stop the behaviors for the perceived good of all concerned. I stopped doing that overtime. It wasn’t fruitful, and I am glad it wasn’t. For somewhere along the way, I had forgotten about the importance of free will; that a man persuaded, is still of the same opinion. If someone forced me to make particular food choices, I would (and have) returned to the same behaviors, later while feeling a bit resentful.

    I remember being perturbed with my older children over dishes being left undone years ago, myself. And the thing that probably frustrated me even more, was that I paid them to do it and had to struggle with them at times, but if we went somewhere and shared a meal and dishes were to be done they would pitched right in as if it were their favorite activity.

    What I later figured out one day was that when one has a desire in their heart to do something, the task is accomplished with the right attitude and is much more successful than when motivation comes merely from fear of disapproval or condemnation. In God’s word, the Lord always lovingly highlights the benefits of obedience and stresses a right heart attitude, for our own well being. God gives us instruction, not with a focus of intent to punish us and separate us, (which I was taught many years ago, to a degree), but so that we can remain in right relationship with him and can enjoy the lives He has given us to the Utmost.

    Titus 3:3-8

    3 For we ourselves also were sometimes foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving divers lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful, and hating one another.
    4 But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared,
    5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
    6 Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;
    7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.
    8 This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men.

    ReplyDelete