Saturday, May 26, 2012

Got Chaos? This can help


I don’t know sometimes if the ideas that I get while running come from inspiration or hypoxia. I run in the stillness of the very early morning. I like it that way. Less traffic (although I would like it more if cars shared the empty road better). There is “less” of everything, including people, light and chaos. 

I find that running early gives me “my time” and it gives me quiet time.

Today as I plodded along, I realized that life is very short. We stay in such a rush and stay moving constantly. Take me for example, I get up early, work a job all day, and then keep up the pace all evening. Some days I feel like I never sit down. Add other obligations like swimming and special events and I end up running on empty.

The pursuit of chaos comes at a price. Stress affects the same things we are supposed to love God with: body, soul, mind and heart. Stress affects the body and has been linked to everything from diabetes to high blood pressure to cancer. Many experts feel obesity, one of the largest threats to American health, can be grossly worsened by stress.

Chaos affects my spiritual walk with God so I am sure others feel that way. When I am under the influence of stress, I tend to push and push and attempt to do more on my own. This goofy response is opposite of what Matthew 11:28-30 suggests: 

28 If you are tired from carrying heavy burdens, come to me and I will give you rest. 29 Take the yoke I give you. Put it on your shoulders and learn from me. I am gentle and humble, and you will find rest. 30 This yoke is easy to bear, and this burden is light.

Does chaos affect the mind? Oh, but yes. Worries, stress, fears, and insecurities flood our minds until we feel like screaming. Sadly, screaming does not work long term and public screaming may cause more stress to accumulate. So, since screaming does not work, people pick even more unhealthy choices such as alcohol, drugs and many other vices too numerous to count. Many times these vices, along with prescription medications, allow a person the ability to take on even more stress.

We know that stress affects the heart in a literal sense, but it does have figurative meaning as well. Constant chaos and stress can change the way a person deals with another. In a way, I think chaos can ‘desensitize” a person and strip them of their empathy. In other words, a person can only be subjected so many times to a chaotic situation before they just don’t care anymore.

STRATEGIES TO STOP THE CHAOS
When things get chaotic, a big long list of ways to combat chaos only makes it worse. So, I have kept it simple and the 3 ways are somewhat similar.

REJOICE
When things are bad, and I mean REALLY bad, take time to thank God. What? Yes, Thank GOD for all He has done for you and the blessings you may take for granted. God appreciates our praise and no matter what is happening in our life, we still can find the blessings.

REFOCUS
When you are stressed and worried all you think about is that stressor. You spend hours going over every ”what if” scenario. That wastes time and energy and robs you of sleep. Instead, refocus on how you can seek God during that time. Remember, Jesus encouraged us to bring our burdens.

REDIRECT
Simply stated, do something different during that time of stress. Use the same 4 characteristics (mind, soul, body and heart) but engage in a different activity. For example, the stressor in your life is making you nuts. Take a time out and spend time helping someone else. Go for a walk. Read a book. Say a prayer.

We all are going to face chaotic situations. The more we try to do in life, the more chaotic it may become. Slow down and use the 3 Rs to minimize the stress.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful!! Now..if I can just slow down and remember to actually implements these when I need it, not after, lol..:)

    ReplyDelete