Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Fitness vs Weight Loss

Healthcare is a'changin'. The current model of health care will not look anything like the futuristic one. Sure, the model is broken and need fixed but as a provider of healthcare for a great many years, we as Americans should be careful what we wish for.

I do strongly believe that each individual is going to have to be held responsible for their health and wellness. My paradigm reads like this: Health care is ILLNESS driven. You get the flu, poison ivy or bronchitis, you go see a prescribing provider and you get "fixed". You take an expensive antibiotic for 10 days, nasty cough medication and finally feel better after 8 days. In the meantime, you probably will get a nasty diarrhea and make yourself prone to tendon ruptures (a little know side effect you are rarely made aware of, by the way).

In this scenario, do your daily wellness habits ever get mentioned? Do you know how many people I have treated with an awful bronchitis who smoked just before they came into the office? Wellness is not discussed because the prescriber has to hurry to the next patient.I do acknowledge that, as a provider, I am not the absolute model of perfect health due to my weight. But, (and my 'butt' is getting smaller), I am losing and I am fairly fit, take NO medications at all at age 50, and have very few lifestyle factors that are not being actively addressed. Many of my peers do not model good health fitness or wellness.

Which is more important, weight loss or fitness? I am currently looking at a couple of products to enhance my professional practice. Both are decent products and both has reps that are engaging, informative and polished. There is a distinct difference between the products and their programs. One's claim to fame is weight loss. Lots of weight loss. The other has a reputation of helping people become more fit and they end up losing weight. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

What do you see as more important? Weight loss or fitness?? Give me some feedback..

1 comment:

  1. Good Morning!

    When I was younger and was overweight but healthy and reasonably fit, I wanted weight loss for reasons of vanity. That approach never worked over the long haul, obviously.

    Now that I am older and I want to actively hang around for a long time to come, my focus is to be healthier and to have a greater level of fitness. To do this, the first thing I need to do, is lose weight.

    My doc always..always..chides me about my weight and my smoking. After visiting last week, he was happy that I had lost 16 lbs last month and he wants that to continue. He told me to prepare, as when the weight is down enough, the ciggies have to go. And he is correct. I have sabotaged my weight loss efforts on more than a few occasions by attempting to do both and screwing both up.

    They both are emotional issues for me and to correct both affects my ability to function properly in my daily living, lol.

    I have joked with friends and family that I could do both at the same time if I went to a rehab type facility and did not have to attend to daily life for about 2 months. But that ain't gonna happen.

    I am seriously looking into e-ciggies..but not sure, really. At least they do not have carcinogens.

    ReplyDelete