Thursday, June 28, 2012

Life According to Ralphie Parker

Who makes late June reference to the Christmas classic A Christmas Story? Ralphie Parker can teach us all about life in 3 simple steps.

LESSON 1: Remember the scene with the bully Scut Farkas? Ralphie tells us that ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. I am not advocating beating a bully until his nose bleeds but hang with me when we apply that to life. We all have a single life to live. I can speak for me and say I know I do not make the best of it some days. Life is like Farkas and steals our lunch money and makes us scream "Uncle" when our life is twisted into a chicken wing. We all say, "Tomorrow will be different" or "Tomorrow I will start the diet."All that does ia give us permission to undermine our goals by taking advantage of the gas station sale of 2 extra large candy bars for the price of one. Seriously, I am only being a conscientious shopper and I will save one for later (if you really want to believe that).

Ralphie could not take the stress of the bully anymore and he emptied a big ol can of whoop butt on Farkas. When we decide to finally do something, we can change our lives. Like one of my favorite authors Tim Ferriss says, ""Pure hell forces action, but anything less can be endured with enough rationalization." 

So, it is that easy huh? I mean, I am frustrated beyond belief that I have not acheived the level of success I want to in all my endeavors. Sure, I talk about change and I can freely type about change but deep down, I realize that Scut Farkas could have whooped Ralphie in an old fashioned, school yard fashion. Why did Ralphie do it? 


LESSON 2: Ralphie stopped thinking and JUST DID IT. This trips a lot of us up and keeps us stuck in the storm ditch of life. I have heard the saying "paralysis by analysis", meaning that inaction will result if we continually sit and look at all the possibilities. What if I left the security of a JOB and ventured out with an understanding collaborative doc and built a practice based on "me" and my abilities? See, then I will see my self like Ralphie selling pencils but not from soap poisoning but from a waiting room full of crickets chirping. People who really know me know I am "THE idea guy". I have great ideas and know I possess the ability to brainstorm. I have quite the inventory of ideas. All are SAFELY placed on a shelf so I can commiserate about them when I am really old. Think how pitiful (if not pathetic) it would be if we allowed our plans and ideas to dry rot sitting on that shelf. Maybe our dreams would touch the lives of others and not only bless those around us, but also change their lives.


LESSON 3: NEVER forget what you want, even if it could put your eye out. Remember, the dang gun almost did put his eye out! But, you know what? IT DID NOT and he enjoyed the fruits of his dreaming labor. Ralphie never lost sight (pun intended) of what he really wanted.


I guess, for this to happen, a person has to really know what they want. That desire almost becomes a mission statement for your life. I have FINALLY learned that I must pursue my dream like an occupation or career. If you don't, you end up treating your dream like a hobby and a person can surely live without fullfilling their "hobby dreams". Also note that I said "I must pursue" these dreams and I mean that NO ONE else is as committed to your dreams as you are. More often than not, help is NOT on the way. To get the boulder of life moving, one must exert lots of effort. As the dreaded Ms. Trunchbull from Matilda said

 " The distance the shotput goes, depends upon the effort that you PUT INTO IT. PERSPIRATION!"

One life is all we have. We can choose to live (which is far from safe and has many risks) or we can exist (which is safer but less rewarding). One takes courage and the other only requires a pulse. The choice of living is easy to talk about and hard to do while existing is tough to swallow but easy to do.

Wow, this ended up deeper than I intended. Leave it to me to rain on a Christmas classic. What is your favorite scene of the movie and can you relate to Ralphie?

3 comments:

  1. Good day to all. I do love the Tim Ferris quote. It is absolutely true. As is usual, this post is awesome and I find it very relevant to my own circumstances. I recently regained employment after a long period of time. I had been searching for a while and nothing really viable for my circumstances seemed to be happening. The few possibilities that had arose, seemed to place me in positions where I worried myself silly with ideas about how I was going to make things work to be able to do them. Then, a month ago..when things were getting mighty frightening..a new possibility arose suddenly. Something in me just felt like I had to just jump in and do it and figure out the how, later. And it worked. Everything just seemed to fall into place…:D. It is not where I want to be, but it is a beginning and for that I am very grateful.

    Love “A Christmas Story”. I could watch it year round and I do watch it all Christmas eve and Christmas day on TNT, lol.

    I must say, one of my favorite scenes is when Ralphie is helping his dad change the flat tire and accidentally spills the lug nuts and then says “The Word”.

    I can identify with Ralphie very much. I experienced similar anecdotes throughout my childhood and had a very vivid imagination like his, as a child myself.

    Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Went to see the movie Brave tonight..excellent, by the way. Dealt a lot with fate and destiny and change. And it really hit home for me that even though I may know/feel that I am following the right path, sometimes it can be scary to venture out of that comfort zone, and I need to be brave and just continue to practice faith and keep putting one foot in front of the other. And it really sunk in how important the process really is. Working through the indecision and the fear and the inner resistance is huge...every step counts. Yes, all that from a kid's movie...and what a kick-ass little heroine they created!
    And I'm trying to eliminate "it is what it is" from my life...it is a big, nasty cop-out.
    Hayley, congratulations on your job! I recently had a new job opportunity fall in my lap and though the change and the unknown are scary, I am plowing forward full steam ahead, keeping the faith that if this is not where I belong, it is but another necessary stepping stone on my path.
    Signing out...your friend who watched The Polar Express for the first time this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jana! And good luck to you in your endeavors!! I love watching these shows with my kids, lol!! I have not seen Brave yet, but plan to soon!

      Delete